Super quick weeknight meal, serve with warm scones (recipe to come!). Even quicker if you chop the veggies the night before. Put leftovers in the freezer for a cold winter night when you don’t feel like cooking! Enjoy …. this one is an original!
- 1 package stewing beef, cut up into tiny pieces
- 6 cups of water
- 6 tsp Knor vegetable stock powder
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 red potatoes, cut up in small cubes
- 1 medium cooking onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
1. Cut up onion and cook until soft and slightly browned in large pot. Once onion is cooked add beef pieces, chopped fresh garlic, and sautee until beef is browned (may need to add a bit of water)
2. Chop up carrots, celery & potatoes and add to cooked beef mixture with about 6 cups of water and 6 tsp vegetable stock powder (the jar calls for 1 tsp per cup of water)
3. Add ketchup, and all herbs / spices and cook on medium, lightly simmering until all veggies are soft.
4. Add barley to soup about 20 minutes before you serve, enough time for it to become soft. Beware: if you add too much barley your soup will get very thick like mine did, it’s usually better not to over do it….barley tends not to freeze that great either so if you want to freeze leftovers I would take that portion out before you add the barley, or just leave it out altogether – up to you!
5. Season to taste & garnish if you’re serving someone else, it makes it look fancy! – voila – SOUP!!! mmmmmmRead More